Size your content well

Today, I want to write about creating content for poetry. I have had the chance to study and practise a number of genres, such as poetry, prose and plays.

I also enjoy listening to music. As you may know, music and poetry have something in common. In fact, poetry can be turned into music but the issue to be assessed is whether a singer can vocalise the words.

Poetry content should be refined and defined. You cannot write about everything you know about a particular topic. If you want to write about everything regarding a topic or subtopic, then go for an article.

With poetry, you simply choose one angle of a topic and concentrate on that. Poetry is not about length, it is about creating a complete picture of something.

You can create a complete picture using a few words, a hundred words etc. Average poems range around 10 to 45 lines. It is best to go for average poems. Very long poems create the problem of repetition and complication.

For a topic or subtopic, you can write dozens of poems. With poetry, brevity is the issue.

Study the brevity of the following poem:

Flames of pain

Non-violent flames ripple an already burden heart

With pain, sorrow, regret, tears,

When death secrets a loved dad



Yes, broken hearts are like broken bottles

Never heal, never forget, never sunder

Even when psychotherapists congregate



The above poem is complete because it creates a full picture of what the poet wants to portray.

You need to study the poems you read, on the depth of the content. Many budding poets fail because they aim to write very long poems. If you are new into poetry avoid very long poems.

Equally too, when you are new to poetry avoid too short poems; go for the average ones.

The following is an averagely long poem.

Watch me cry

Tears are not unfinishable
In the ducts of my eyes
There are tears of joy
Have I bled tears of pleasure?

Mine tears are from deep my heart
Those of anguish, sorrow and self-pity.
My mother diagnosed with cancer
A brother diabetic, a sister maniac

Mine uncle killed in a xenophobic attack,
The aunt swept away, never to be seen again, in Ngangu cyclone-
Call it Idai.
Why Are my tears unfinishable in the ducts of my eyes?


Now, I have just joined the fray insomniac
Childish tears from my adult eyes trickle
Innocence traceable in their gushes,
Count their droplets, if you have suitable lenses-

Now, just watch me cry.


My point of this article is; trim your content, .make it compact and you succeed.









Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Basics about poetry

African Writers Bureau Partnership program

Mashell Chapeyama- the Writer